Victory For My Llamas

Victory For My Llamas

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blowmytotem
Admin

Number of posts : 1529
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:24 am

This is just a short guide to being Pro... like me! as a resto shaman, requested by the one and only Famulan!

ill try and make it neat, but im crap with organising stuff Razz so its gonna be a bit all over the place.

Purpose in Raids
Ok, well Resto shaman are arguably the best raid healer in the game at the moment. mainly due to the amazing effects of Chain Heal (CH). they are best suited at healing a group of people situated together, for example melee groups or caster groups. occasionally throwing in a Lesser Healing Wave (LHW) or Riptide (RT) on lonetargets. Shaman can also single target heal. i.e Healing a main tank, although other healing classes will excel in this area. such as Druid, Pally, Priest. this is due to the heavy mana cost of our single target healers.

Builds
since WotLK i have tried many builds for both 5 mans and raiding. peronsally i feel i have found the best build any resto shammy could have. unfortunatly its not widly published over forums etc unless by myself.
check the link for the build that i use --> Blow's Resto Build . if you would like to try out other builds, then its worth visiting Elitist Jerks forums and checking that out Smile

Anyway, here is my explanation for why i think this is the best build.
i will start in the Restoration tree. the 'surprising' talents that i have not taken are
Totemic Focus
Healing Grace
Healing Way
Improved Earthshield

and here is why i did not choose them in my build...
Totemic Focus - this talendd reduces the cost of totems. lets face it, they last 5 minutes now, and with totemic recall, you get half of the mana back anyway, regen accounts for the rest.
Healing Grace - Reduces threat from healing spells, and also has effects to dispelling. in WotLK, totally pointless talent, no need for reduced threat anymore, since tanking is a little easier. and theres deffinatly no need for PvP talents while raiding.
Healing Way - this increases the amount healed by your Healing Wave spell on targets already effected. every build i have seen so far HAS this talent, and i cannot figure out why, as Healing Wave is the least used spell, i probably have used it 10-20 times in a raid, and thats combined with natures swiftness. it baffles me why people choose this talent. you are better off speccing into Ancestral Healing with the 3 points for armour gain on crit.
Improved Earthshield - Now, this one was a tough choice to drop. because it is still useful. however i figured that its just easier to refresh it insstead of the extra charges. and the bonus heal to the single target is often overheal anyway.
i found it much more beneficial to put the extra 2 points in enhancement for Elemental Weapons, increasing the chance of procing Earthliving Weapon, which gives no over-heal, and can proc from CH jumps Smile

If you have any questions on the builds for Shaman, its probably better to talk on vent about it. just ask me in game or something Smile

Selecting Gear
the way shaman are played in WotLK differs slightly from TBC. Shaman are no longer required to stack haste at end game (yet). Crit has also become a very powerful stat, possibly equal to Mp5.
When you are selecting your gear aim for the following stats, in order:
[justify]+Spell Power
+Mp5
+Crit

Spell Power should be stacked as much as possible until you hit 2000 Spell Power, unbuffed. which will normally amount to 2.3k - 2.4k Raid buffed.
also, do not forget to take into account the base stats on items. as a shaman the stats you want to aim for are
+Int ----> 10 Int will provide you with 1.8 Spell Power, 3.3 Crit Rating, and approx 5 mp5 through a boss fight.
+Stam ----> provides more survivability, required for hard fights like Malygos and OS

Avoid Spirit at all costs, as this provides no benefit at all for Shaman. you will probably notice that most mail items will not contain spirit, so this is fairly easy to avoid. you only need to worry if you get cloth/leather (which in some cases are better than mail).[/justify]

Gemming your wearz!
this bit is quite simple, what gems you put where!!

Red --> Runed Scarlet Ruby (19 SP)
Blue --> Dazzling Forest Emerald (8 Int + 3Mp5) /// Royal Twilight Opal (9 SP + 3Mp5)
Yellow --> Brilliant Autumn's Glow (16 Int)
Meta --> Insightful Earthseige Diamond (21 Int + Chance on cast to restor mana)

The Insightful Earthsiege Diamond has a chance to restor mana upon spell cast. the actual mana restored is 600. which, is approx 100 mana less than a chain heal. practically giving you a free chain heal upon proc.
- has a hidden cooldown of 15seconds.
- Chance to proc is approx 5%

Optimus

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:57 am

It's official. Between this, the email you sent me about OS and the OS post you made on the forum.

RESTO SHAMANS HAVE FUCK ALL TO DO AT WORK DURING THE DAY.

"Optimus deserves punch in his face. " ~ Lawmanka
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Famulan

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:56 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Brilliant. It's like a refreshment of what we talked about when I did my first healing tour. It's always good to have some backup reading somewhere.

I need to buy 2 more gems to have my kit up to date. It needs improvement but that's what I got. I think i was fairly close to 2k healing, intel is over 19k en mana regen is 500 sth sth. Very curieus to see how things will go this time around.

In any case, kudos for the guide !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prime

Number of posts : 961

PostSubject: Re: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 am

I helped him write it tbh.
Now gief pics!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Famulan

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:34 am

Houston, we have a problem Wink I was messing around with the 3.1 talent tree. Since I agree on the skipped talents, in the 3.1 tree I skipped them as well. But now got stuck at 33 points with 2 points to assign before being able to move on.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=hZ0xxIZx0ezIxoxk

Furthermore, the 2 points less for restorative totems are the elusive points for imp ES perhaps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blowmytotem
Admin

Number of posts : 1529

PostSubject: Re: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:11 pm

just had a look at the PTR stuff, looks like the 2 points could go into ES

but for the time being it could be worth a resto shammy having the points in Enhancing Totems.
which tbh is better than having an extra bit of healing on ES.
as Enhancing Totems is an extra 10% of 155 Agility / Strength to the whole raid. rather than 10% increased healing from ES on a single target.

obviously this only applies if we still do not have an enhancement shaman by Ulduar

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)   

Back to top Go down

How To Be Pro like Blow! (Resto)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1